Software Litigation Law Firm (CA | AZ). We accept federal copyright infringement cases around the United States subject to local rules of admission. Call us at (877) 276-5084.
If you have a software-related dispute, we are the technology law firm to consider hiring. We have extensive experience handling software audits, and federal court litigation. You can view our federal court experience here. When a federal lawsuit is filed, it is important to have IP legal counsel that has “been there and done that" and gone up against some of the largest law firms in the country. We offer competitive rates and tenacious legal representation of both simple and complex software disputes for small, media and large organizations.
Google wins Software Code infringement lawsuit with Fair Use Defense
Oracle and Google were embroiled in a heated litigation over software code Google used (approximately 11,000 lines of Java API code) which they incorporated into their Android OS. Oracle found out and filed a lawsuit for copyright infringement. Google argued it was a "fair use" of Oracle's software code and the Supreme Court of the United States (after applying the 4-factor fair use test) agreed ON EACH POINT. Thus, Google was able to avoid a 8 billion dollar lawsuit.
PODCAST: Listen to Attorney Steve® go over the Supreme Court's rationale in reaching a 6-2 ruling for Google.
Types of software cases we consider accepting
We will consider representation in the following general types of case, whether your a dealing with a cease-and-desist letter, subpoena response, demand for a software audit, or involved in software arbitration, mediation or litigation.
- Software disputes with the BSA (trade association for major software publishers, BSA audits)
- Microsoft disputes (ex. SPLA disputes) (and Microsoft Partner Audits)
- Computer games (software code and character infringement, music and sound effect infringement)
- Altium software
- Ansys litigation and dispute resolution
- Software EULA disputes
- Adobe lawsuits
- Dassault/Solidworks piracy
- Vero lawsuits
- Siemens mass joiner lawsuits
- CNC lawsuits
- Open-source software disputes
- Github disputes
- Consumer wearable technology malfunctions
- DMCA illegal anti-circumvention cases
- Hexagon/Vero cases (cabinetvision, alphacam, edgecam)
- Fair Use defense
- SIIA audits
- Software piracy defense
- Artificial intelligence and copyright law
- Autodesk lawsuits
Podcast – what happens if you cannot settle your software audit with Business Software Alliance or software publisher
PODCAST: Click on the picture above to hear the podcast.
One software company that definitely files lawsuits is Siemens Product Lifecycle Management (“PLM”). Click on the picture above to watch the video. Make sure to SUBSCRIBE to our popular legal channel. We are now up over 42,400 subscribers and closing in on 5,000,000 video views.
Notable Software Verdicts
Here are some of the larger copyright software litigation recoveries in the news:
- Montblanc-Simplo GmbH v. Ilnitsky (32 million-dollar judgment on copyright and trademark claims)
- Lowrys Reports, Inc. v. Legg Mason, Inc. (statutory copyright damages approaching 20 million dollars)
- Electronic Creations Crop v. Gigahertz, Inc. (150k plus attorney fees for infringement of one work)
- American Chemical Society vs. Sci-Hub (4.8 million statutory damages)
Software litigation cases can be dealing with HI STAKES and what we sometimes refer to as BET THE FARM CASES as these cases illustrate.
Contact a Software & IP Law Firm
To discuss your case in confidence, contact us at (877) 276-5084. We are able to structure low flat-rate legal fees for many cases. This means we don't put two or three attorneys on your case and have an incentive to bill your case for months at a time. Call us for more information. May not apply in all cases, especially litigation cases.
We have been in business since 2004 and, in that time, have handled roughly 500 federal court copyright infringement cases and settled nearly 1,000 software audits from many of the major software publishers in the United States. In this area of law, there is no substitute for experience.