VONDRAN LEGAL® PIPELINE REPORT – Sample cases we are currently handling, considered taking, consulted on, or recently closed. COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT | SOFTWARE AUDITS | BITTORRENT LITIGATION | ENTERTAINMENT LAW | PHOTO INFRINGEMENT AND MORE!
Tubular - riding the wave on more great cases this year!
April 2023 Updates: We are once again taking charge in the area of copyright infringement defense handling hundreds of Strike 3 defense cases and a wide variety of software piracy cases including but not limited to Ansys, Autodesk, Adobe, ad Solidworks. We have also been fighting an intense battle defending a company in a trade secrets misappropriation case.
June 2022 Legal Updates: Vondran Legal is a REPEAT CHAMPION being recognized as the #1 copyright defense law firm IN THE UNITED STATES for the second year in a row according to Unicourt.com in accordance with the number of cases handled. This is yet another great honor as we help our clients settle a wide variety of IP and Technology related infringement matters.
2022 Vondran Legal Litigation Updates: We have remained one of the top copyright infringement litigation firms in the United States. We continue to handle a large volume of the Strike 3 Holdings adult movie infringement cases in California (Central District, Northern District, and a bit in the Southern and Eastern District). We have also continued our dominance in the area of software audits and compliance investigations ("software piracy") including but not limited to cases involving Siemens, Autodesk, Vero, Solidwork (Dassault), and others. Additionally, we have resolved many "Joe Hand Promotion" boxing piracy cases defending bars, restaurants, taverns, and other companies and helped get these Telecommunication Act cases resolved both in and out of court. Next, it has been another banner year for photo infringement cases and we have settled a large number of image infringement cases for both Plaintiff (ask about our contingency recovery program), and Defendants accused of photo infringement despite the fair use defense. Finally, IPTV cases are seeming to emerge with more demand letters from the Motion Picture Association ("MPAA") and Dish-Nagrastar threatening legal liability for illegally selling or providing access to movie and television content. Yes, another banner year and we have just begun!!
September 2021 Updates: We have remained busy, busy (yes, law marches on despite the global health crisis), handling all types of intellectual property & entertainment law cases. From defending a slew of new Strike 3 Holdings file-sharing Lawsuits to advising on Pic Rights, Reuters, Agence-France-Press, and Higbee & Associates photo infringement, fair use opinion letters for movie documentary filmmakers, modeling agreement review, review, and counsel regarding social media influencer agreement, software compliance and dispute resolution (ex. Vero infringement, Solidworks | Dassault | Autodesk | Siemens, etc.), Apple disputes, Dish/Nagrastar, and Triller cases, architectural copyright registration, trademark logo registration (we broke 200k views on this great video), and performed much other general business counseling, software compliance, and dispute resolution assignments.
ALSO, THIS YEAR WE WERE IDENTIFIED AS THE TOP COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT DEFENSE LAW FIRM IN THE UNITED STATES by UniCourt. This came as a shock because we typically don't "check out the scoreboard" (we just grind it out daily for our great clients), but this was a wonderful honor and distinction, and we are well on our way to BACK-TO-BACK titles, so to speak.
April 2021 Updates: Working on Strike 3 illegal movie download cases, Apple infringement cases, IPTV litigation, patent review of novel medical item, Joe Hand promotion cases, Vero, Solidworks, Siemens lawsuit defense, photo infringement cases with Higbee and PicRights, and more. Another busy month in the legal trenches.
September 2020 updates: We are handling several large copyright infringement matters including IPTV, LA Gem & Jewelry (Mom Pendants), Evangelist copyright sermon fair use / alleged infringement, and a slew of internet movie-file sharing cases involving Strike 3 Holdings (Bittorent download).
We are also busy in entertainment law reviewing contracts, including reality show and music agreements, providing fair use opinion letters for independent film creators, reviewing and advising on music production agreements, and working on boxing satellite and cable piracy cases.
It's yet another busy banner year for us here at Vondran Legal, and while we are still a leader in handling software audits for companies around the United States, this practice area has slowed slightly since the Business Software Alliance appears to have slowed down greatly due to Covid-19.
Sample cases - Here is an overview of what we have been working on in 2019 and 2020
We are a boutique intellectual property, copyright, software and entertainment law firm. We like to think we are the hardest working, most talented and passionate law firm on the planet!
Here's what's brewing in our legal trenches!
- Microsoft SPLA audit – closed
- Federal Court IPTV litigation against major Hollywood production companies
- Apple counterfeit products negotiation
- BSA software audit (multiple cases)
- Nagrastar satellite piracy
- Autodesk software license audit (multiple cases)
- TV signal piracy case with Arizona sports bar (Settled)
- Cal. Right of Publicity case under California Civil Code 3344 (athlete rights infringement / unfair internet marketing / false endorsement)
- Revenge porn case
- Advise social media bulletin board site regarding DMCA “safe harbors” / photo infringement issues
- Review Youtube MCN contract
- Multiple photo infringement license recovery cases for Los Angeles fine art studio
- Trademark & Corporate advice for a startup Vodka company
- Working on a trademark for a unique beverage company
- Theft of Idea case
- Jewelry infringement case – federal court lawsuit
- Etsy infringement case
- Vero software demands (multiple cases)
- NagraStar (Dish Network, LLC)
- Font infringement case
- Working on multiple Siemens software federal litigation cases
- Popular singer seeking to have copyright license reviewed
- Vape trademark/trade dress case
- Software infringement litigation defense
- Apple App Store dispute
- illegal movie download – Venice PI
- Microsoft SAM audit for an industrial supply company
- Working on Vero software licensing cases
- Identity theft data breach litigation with mortgage and lending company
- Copyright infringement litigation dealing with religious videos of famous TV evangelists – fair use/abandonment issues
- CBS YouTube video takedown notice – dealing with fair use
- Model photo posting on Instagram (right of publicity)
- G&G Closed Circuit – TV signal piracy case
- Product packaging font dispute
- Image Rights Photo Infringement demand letter
- Apple infringement response
- Trademark applications for sporting goods manufacturer
- Financial elder abuse lawsuit against a car dealership
- The Software Alliance Microsoft license compliance audit
- Amazon.com DMCA product takedown federal court lawsuit and 512(f) bad faith
- Dismissal of Strike 3 Holdings, LLC lawsuit
- Right of publicity case against global sports company settled favorably
- Working on Solidworks infringement software cases
- Analysis of “fair use” in photo infringement cases
- Recently closed anti-SLAPP and Right of Publicity case
- Apple computer counterfeit imports (U.S. Customs and Borders)
- Working on numerous
- Youtube DMCA takedown counter-notification review for large YouTuber
- Counterfeit products sale on eBay – defense of allegations
- Potential photo infringement case (use of real estate photo) with Perkins Coie
- Architect CAD infringement case (builder taking and making derivative works off copyrighted plans)
- Negotiating terms of Autodesk EULA contractual audits with software counsel
- Right of publicity case
- Software program illegal access case
- Autodesk audit defense for Design firm
- Podcast [trademark dispute] with a MAJOR television network
- Consulting on Adobe copyright infringement letter (distributing counterfeit goods)
- Reviewing software litigation case (alleged breach of the settlement agreement by using unlicensed software post-settlement).
- Software company looking to set up compliance (license recovery) division
- Breach of contract and intellectual property (exclusive rights) in Escape Room case
- Autodesk license audit (case dismissed with “take nothing”)
- Strike 3 Holdings – illegal movie download cases
- Evaluating nail polish infringement case
- YouTube star – false takedown notices
- Illegal sale of mobile applications on Apple Store (we help clients defend against claims of counterfeit selling). These are really tough cases and if you get a case from Kirkpatrick Townsend call us).
- Malibu Media adult movie infringement case
- Torrent case – Once Upon a Time in Venice
- Reviewing DoFantasy.com erotica art infringement case (sex comics / BSDM)
- BSA software license compliance audits (multiple). If you receive a call from Venable or another regional law firm for the Business Software Alliance call us. These cases can invoke personal liability on both directors and officers who had an ability to supervise and a financial interest in not paying for software.
- Advising a company on Higbee & Associates photo infringement letter (representing companies such as AdLife, PicRights, PM Media, and Grecco Productions - these guys can be RUTHLESS and RUDE).
- Solidworks infringement
- Software Alliance audit negotiation for the insurance company (dealing with student licenses and hacked software)
- Bitcoin Cryptocurrency litigation
- Trademark cancellation proceeding with major shoe company
- Photo infringement lawsuit (webmaster use of the unauthorized digital image)
- License revenue recovery for a software company
- Photo infringement case with Image Rights International
- Sports product misappropriation of celebrity image for commercial gain (selling products with a picture on it)
- Alleged Textbook infringement on Bonanza.com [law firm of Oppenheim + Zeibrak]. This firm represents major publishers such as Cengage Learning, McGraw-Hill, Global Education Holding, Elsevier, and Pearson education.
- Business Software Alliance investigation
- Malibu Media demand letter
- Copyright infringement lawsuit against youtube
- VB Conversion, LLS – alleged software over-installation in violation of EULA
- WIPO Domain dispute dealing with the major automobile manufacturer
- Domain dispute lawsuit with Facebook
- Hollywood theft of screenplay
- The leak of TV show plot (copyright & DMCA defense). Allegations involving leaks of high publicity reality show endings.
- Software infringement (unauthorized reseller)
- 1.8 million real estate commission breach
- The Internet radio station (BMI, ASCAP, SoundExchange music copyrights)
- Software compliance group – Altium software
- Real estate accusation defense
- J&J Sports – boxing fight cable piracy
- Trademarks (logo and slogan) for online dating website
- Large real estate tort bad faith & interference case for commercial property
- Architectural copyright licensing
- Review of music agreement
- Photo infringement contingency recovery
- Infringing doll issue
- Signup for Youtube Content ID (for video creator)
- Fair use software
- DMCA Section 1202 – Copyright Management Information (“CMI”)
- – [California]
- Youtube Fair Use issue with major Youtube Creator
- Facebook account takedown due to alleged fashion infringement by Gucci
- Right of publicity dispute – book cover photo
- Font infringement contingency recovery
- DMCA 512(f) “bad faith” Youtube takedown case (alleged music infringement in a video game video)
- Strike 3 Holdings – adult video infringement subpoena
- DMCA Youtube takedowns
- "Fair use" - religious sermons dispute (pastor says OK to use, then dies, widow says NO).
- Higbee & Associates photo infringement "fair use" review (make sure to listen to this podcast)
- Autodesk internal software audits (international). MAKE SURE TO SEEK LEGAL COUNSEL, THEY ARE RUTHLESS AND WILL PLAY GAMES WITH YOU. I HAVE THE PROOF.
- Revenge porn case in California (modeling contract turns into the unwanted online posting of private photos).
- Petition to reinstate popular Youtube account (music law takedown - uncertain copyright strikes)
- Right of publicity case - violation of celebrity endorsement rights (model photo on popular Instagram website). Lawsuit to follow. YOU CAN NOT USE ANOTHER PERSON'S NAME, IMAGE, OR LIKENESS WITHOUT CONSENT.
- Unlawful use of logo (copyright infringement) to create a business. Fiverr sold an image (allegedly) with no copyrights. You cannot build a brand off an image you have no rights to.
- Domain name dispute (BMW) case (cybersquatting)
- Theft of script (screenwriting) major motion picture studio. Make sure you are on your NDA's.
- California BRE audit (we have many years of experience dealing with the BRE). Don't go it alone, they want to strip your license.
As you can see, we are a pretty darn busy boutique intellectual property & entertainment law firm.
We fight hard for our clients and take your business seriously and have been practicing law since 2004.
Listen to Attorney Steve discuss the California Right of Publicity Law
VIDEO: Click to watch a sample of one of our videos. What happens when someone uses your name, image, and likeness for advertising and marketing purposes (such as to draw visitors to an internet website) without your authorization. You DO NOT have to be a famous person to recover and seek an injunction, actual damages, attorney fees, and potentially punitive damages. Make sure to SUBSCRIBE to our awesome legal channel which now has over THREE MILLION video views and over 35,000 subscribers. As we like to say “Be Smarter Than Your Friends.”
What is a software audit?
VIDEO: Click to watch Attorney Steve explain “software audits.” We have helped many companies across the United States respond to these allegations of copyright software infringement. We have handled hundreds of software audits for both small (mom and pop businesses) up to large international firms such as law firms, architects, engineers, creative designers, wood workers and others. We are one of the top IP law firms in the Country handling BSA software audits, Vero (Alphacam, Cabinet Vision, Edgecam), Siemens PLM lawsuits, Autodesk (CAD, Revit, Maya, Inventor), VB Conversion, Solidworks, and others.
Overview of BitTorrent file sharing defense
VIDEO: Click here to learn more about file-sharing lawsuits. We can help with adult pornography cases like Strike Three Holdings, Malibu Media, Flava Works, and others. Defending internet file-sharing torrent download cases can be very stressful. Our firm is the proven leader in the State of California, there is virtually no other game in town. Experience matters.
California Fair Use Lawyer describes Tips for YouTubers to "Stay out of Legal Trouble"!!!
VIDEO: Click on the picture above to learn more about our Fair Use Tips for YouTubers to avoid online copyright infringement claims. Make sure to SUBSCRIBE to join over 30,000 people who love our legal information videos! We are approaching 3 million video views. As we like to say, this is not your Daddy's stuffy old law firm.
If you would like to discuss your case, contact us at (877) 276-5084. We offer low flat rate fees for many (non-litigation cases) including software audits, entertainment contracts reviews, music law, celebrity endorsement agreements, YouTube disputes, DMCA takedown notices and subpoenas, fair use opinion letters, MPA and Nagtrastar-Doish defense, torrent illegal file-sharing download cases (Strike 3 Holdings, LLC), trademark, UDRP arbitrations, and copyright infringement.
We have extensive federal court litigation experience (particularly in copyright infringement law having appeared in nearly 320 federal court cases).
We have SOLID-GOLD excellent past client Avvo reviews.