Attorney Steve® SOFTWARE & HARDWARE INSTALLATION AND USE POLICY.
Free sample policy
CLICK HERE FOR AN EDITABLE WORD VERSION OF Attorney Steve's software installation and use policy.
PDF – This Sample company software anti piracy policy is for NON-COMMERCIAL USE only.
What this document might help you with?
- Making sure officers and directors are taking steps to oversee the operation
- May help promote an “innocent infringement” defense if you end up in legal hot water
- Put your employees and contractors on notice of what's expected of them (brings awareness to important issues)
- May prevent illegal copying inside the organization
- May help rebut a claim of “willful copyright infringement“
Our company has a strict policy as it relates to the copyright, installation and use of third party software (ex. Microsoft, Adobe and others.) which is typically protected by federal copyright law. Each employee, agent, representative, contractor and persons working on behalf of our company are expected to, and by signing below, hereby agree to comply with this policy at all times.
You should understand and expect that all software (and hardware) you use during your working relationship with our company will be protected by federal intellectual property rights of another company including but not limited to copyrights and trademarks.
As such, we must respect those rights and always make sure to:
- Only install software that is properly licensed by an authorized reseller and only after you receive written approval from management. For example, do not buy hardware or software products on websites such as eBay or Amazon and install or use them on your computers or laptops without specific written authorization from management.
- Use all software within the terms of the end-user licensing agreement (“EULA”). For example, do not use academic versions of any software for commercial purposes.
- Keep all receipts (if you are asked to purchase or license products on behalf of the company) for any software or hardware that is purchased/licensed/used on behalf of the company and make sure management has a written copy of the receipt or other proof of purchase.
- Ask questions anytime you are unsure what your obligations are in regard to software or hardware licensing, installation and use issues.
- Report anything you are aware of that may violate this policy.
Bringing in your own software
If you are bringing in your own laptops, computers, or other computer electronics into the company workplace and such devices have software installed on it, you are responsible to ensure that all software is properly licensed including all software that is used on behalf of the company. You are not authorized to use any software for company or business purposes without first receiving the express written authorization or approval from company.
Company Trade Secrets
By signing below you understand and agreed to maintain the confidentiality of companies business and strategic plans and opportunities, finances and financial statements, identity of the customers, suppliers and vendors, prices and pricing policies, software and hardware setup and usage, network configurations, contractual rights and obligations, know-how, new products and service ideas and anything else that may be marked or labeled as “confidential” or “trade secret” that comes into your possession.
Question or concerns
If you have any questions or concerns about your obligations under this company policy, or as to the terms of this policy, or have reason to suspect any improper activity by any other employee, agent, contractor or representative of the company, you are obligated to report this to management by calling XXXXXX or emailing XXXXX.
I hereby acknowledge that Company has a zero-tolerance policy in regard to violating this policy and infringing third party intellectual property rights and by signing below I understand that violating this policy in any manner can lead to adverse consequences.
I also acknowledge that I have read and understood this policy and agree to comply with its terms and to keep a copy of this policy for my reference.
I further understand that if I fail to comply with any aspect of this policy which leads to any claim for damages, audit, lawsuit, or other legal action by any third party against our company, I agree to indemnify company and its officers and directors for any losses, claims, demands, costs (including audit costs, penalties and attorney fees) or other monetary losses that may be incurred.
Print Name Date
Contact an Intellectual Property Attorney
If you need custom contracts, social medial policies, privacy policies, BSA software audits, Autodesk audits, DMCA safe harbors policies, or other internet legal advice related to computer or technology legal issues contact us at (877) 276-5084. In many cases we can structure a low flat rate fee.