Attorney Steve® Software Audit Updates
Software licensing compliance audits have continued.
According to IT Asset Management and on information and belief, the following publishers have maintained a software audit presence
- DASSAULT (Solidworks)
- PITNEY BOWES
- SOFTWARE AG
- AUTODESK (Revit, AutoCAD, Maya, Inventor)
We also have reason to believe that the Business Software Alliance ("BSA") may be moving to strike up the audits again in 2022. Stay tuned. If you are using Microsoft office and windows products, you should probably consider self-auditing at this time.
What are some of the main legal compliance issues?
- Using "cracked" software
- Not following the terms of the EULA (over-installation, simultaneous use)
- Installing software from BitTorrent
- Using student software for commercial purposes
- Buying counterfeit or unauthorized software off the internet on fake reseller sites or eBay for example
- Posting job ads when you don't actually have any licensed software (ex. looking for someone experienced with Solidworks or AutoCAD software)
The top five piracy groups that contribute to cracked software releases
According to HelpNet Security:
The top five most active groups are:
Lz0 (Linear Zero)
LND (Legends Never Die)
Contact a Software Defense Law Firm
Call us at (877) 276-5084 if you are facing a software audit and need legal representation.
These cases are typically presented as a copyright infringement issue, which means, it can lead to a very expensive federal court lawsuit if the issue is not properly managed and contained.
We have helped hundreds of companies both large and small survive license compliance issues.
For most non-litigation cases, we are able to offer low predictable FLAT-RATE FEES that allow you to avoid legal bills that may never end with a firm seeking to make your case last forever. We are problem solvers and seek to get you through your issues as quickly as possibly, confidentially, and at the lowest settlement with best possible terms that protect your business and officers and directors, who may also be personally liable and at-risk.
We have appeared in over 300 federal copyright infringement cases.