Contact Us Today! (877) 276-5084

Attorney Steve® Blog

You need a United States trademark attorney if your business is overseas and you want U.S. protection

Posted by Steve Vondran | Jan 31, 2020 | 0 Comments

Attorney Steve® Trademark College® - International Trademark Law

United States Trademark Attorney

Trademark rule requires foreign-domiciled applicants and registrants to have a U.S.-licensed attorney

According to the USPTO website:

"Foreign-domiciled trademark applicants, registrants, and parties to Trademark Trial and Appeal Board proceedings, including Canadian trademark filers, must appoint and be represented before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) by an attorney who is licensed to practice law in the United States. See more about foreign-domiciled trademark applicants, registrants, and parties. U.S.-licensed attorneys representing any trademark filers must provide all of the following: Name, postal address, and email address Statement confirming to their active membership in good standing of a bar of the highest court of a U.S. state, Commonwealth, or territory Bar membership information (state, bar number if applicable, and year of admission)........A significant number of trademark offices around the world require foreign-domiciled applicants and registrants to obtain local counsel as a condition for filing papers with those trademark offices. In order to ameliorate the abuse of the U.S. trademark registration system, we are now requiring U.S. counsel representation as a condition for foreign-domiciled applicants, registrants, and parties to file papers with the USPTO, as well."

Another service a non-US based company may need is a United States Lawyer to respond to USPTO office action letters.

Watch Attorney Steve® discuss how to respond to USPTO office action letters

Los Angeles trademark lawyer

VIDEO:  Click on the picture to watch this important video from our "Trademark College" series.  Make sure to SUBSCRIBE to join nearly 20,000 others who love our general information videos.

Who is considered “foreign-domiciled”?

"A “foreign-domiciled” trademark applicant, registrant, or party is one who does not have a domicile in the United States or its territories. An individual's domicile is the place the person resides and intends to be the person's principal home. An entity's domicile is its principal place of business (headquarters) where the entity's senior executives or officers ordinarily direct and control the entity's activities."

Contact a United States Trademark Lawyer

We have offices in Los Angeles (Santa Monica), San Francisco, San Diego, Orange County (Newport Beach), and Phoenix, Arizona.  We have helped many companies with complex copyright and trademark issues in the United States including registering trademarks, copyright infringement matters, cease and desist letters, DMCA agents, software audit defense of Vero software, Siemens, Business Software Alliance, and other intellectual property matters. 

Contact us at (877) 276-5084 or leave a message through our contact form.

About the Author

Steve Vondran

Thank you for viewing our blogs, videos and podcasts. As noted, all information on this website is Attorney Advertising. Decisions to hire an attorney should never be based on advertising alone. Any past results discussed herein do not guarantee or predict any future results. All blogs are written by Steve Vondran, Esq. unless otherwise indicated. Our firm handles a wide variety of intellectual property and entertainment law cases from music and video law, Youtube disputes, DMCA litigation, copyright infringement cases involving software licensing disputes (ex. BSA, SIIA, Siemens, Autodesk, Vero, CNC, VB Conversion and others), torrent internet file-sharing (Strike 3 and Malibu Media), California right of publicity, TV Signal Piracy, and many other types of IP, piracy, technology, and social media disputes. Call us at (877) 276-5084. AZ Bar Lic. #025911 CA. Bar Lic. #232337


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact us for an initial consultation!

For more information, or to discuss your case or our experience and qualifications please contact us at (877) 276-5084. Please note that our firm does not represent you unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed, and any applicable legal fees are paid. All initial conversations are general in nature. Free consultations are limited to time and availability of counsel and will depend on the type of case you are calling about (no free consultations for other lawyers). All users and potential clients are bound by our Terms of Use Policies. We look forward to working with you!
The Law Offices of Steven C. Vondran, P.C. BBB Business Review