Copyright issues relating to use of social media network sites such as Twitter
Twiter is a fun application for young and old alike. However, you can do some things on twitter that could get you into trouble. This blog talks about a few of those things.
Top 10 things you can do on twitter that could get you sued
Here is my top 10 list of things you can do that can get you into legal trouble when using TWITTER as a social media platform.
- Engage in acts constituting hate speech (intentionally offending someone because of their race for example)
- Engage in acts constituting online stalking (a repeated course of conduct that results in credible personal threats
- Tarnish or Blur the reputation of a famous trademark (See 15 U.S.C. 1125 – “Subject to the principles of equity, the owner of a famous mark that is distinctive, inherently or through acquired distinctiveness, shall be entitled to an injunction against another person who, at any time after the owner's mark has become famous, commences use of a mark or trade name in commerce that is likely to cause dilution by blurring or dilution by tarnishment of the famous mark, regardless of the presence or absence of actual or likely confusion, of competition, or of actual economic injury.
- Commit acts of defamation (libel) (ex. false and injurious rumors about a classmate having herpes, aids, or a sexual disease)
- Use headers, images or avatars that infringe someone else's copyrighted works (ex. using a photo, art work, illustration without permission)
- Linking to material on the dark web which may be illegal (porn, sex trafficking)
- Disclose trade secrets of your company or a competitor (ex. linking to plans for a new software mobile application)
- Using twitter to pull off a scam or a fraud (ex. pimping a false diet pill)
- Making terrorist threats online (ex. going to take out the airport or power grid)
- Use twitter to privately aid and abet a fugitive
- Inciting panic (telling people they need to switch banks immediately)
- Obstructing justice (ex. posting DUI checkpoints)
- Leaving a job and taking your twitter followers with you (the followers might be the property of your company)
- Agreeing to buy alcohol for underage minors
- Sexting with minors with the intent to engage in sexual intercourse
- Impersonating another person with the intent to cause them damage, humiliation, injury.
Watch Attorney Steve explain these 16 Twitter Issues
VIDEO: Click on the picture above to watch the video. Make sure you SUBSCRIBE to our popular legal channel which now has over 3,500 subscribers and over 1/2 million video views! Thank you all for your continued support.
Twitter's copyright policy
Twitter respects the intellectual property rights of others and expects users of the Services to do the same. We reserve the right to remove Content alleged to be infringing without prior notice, at our sole discretion, and without liability to you. We will respond to notices of alleged copyright infringement that comply with applicable law and are properly provided to us, as described in our Copyright policy (https://support.twitter.com/articles/15795).
If you believe that your Content has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please report this by visiting our Copyright reporting form (https://support.twitter.com/forms/dmca) or contacting our designated copyright agent at:
Twitter, Inc. Attn: Copyright Agent
1355 Market Street, Suite 900
San Francisco, CA
Bad faith takedown notices
If you received a DMCA take-down notice submitted to Twitter in “Bad Faith” contact our lawyer to discuss your case. You may be the victim of a DMCA take-down bully and in some cases this could trigger a case for money damages. We wrote about this DMCA take-down bully here.
Can you COPYRIGHT register a Tweet?
VIDEO: Watch Attorney Steve® explain in this important video. Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE to our channel, we are approaching 35,000 subscribers!!
Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia University v Trump
VIDEO: Click on the picture to watch Attorney Steve® explain this twitter law case. Make sure to SUBSCRIBE to our popular law channel. As we like to say “Be Smarter Than Your Friends.” We are now up to over 34,600 subscribers and about to hit FOUR MILLION VIDEO VIEWS! It's been a great ride and thanks to everyone that supports us as we strive to make the legal system more accessible and more understandable to the average person.
Twitter Legal Services
We offer the following legal services:
5. Free Speech
7. Reporter's Privilege
8. Fake News / False light
10. Internet parody
12. Account reinstatement petition - appeal a lockout (no guarantees as they make and enforce their own rules and community guidelines)
Watch Attorney Steve® explain copyright photo embedding liability on Twitter
VIDEO: Click on the photo image to watch this great video! Make sure to SUBSCRIBE to our legal channel while you are there!
Contact a Tweet Lawyer
If you are facing any legal issues due to the use of Twitter, YouTube, TikTok, Instagram, or other social media websites, contact Vondran Legal® and our internet and social media law firm. We can assist with internet law and intellectual property issues such as trademark, trade secrets, right of publicity (celebrity endorsement), and copyright legal isses. Call us at (877) 276-5084 or fill out our contact form and we will contact you.