Attorney Steve® - Copyright Infringement Essentials [Two sides of the sword]?
Introduction Is software piracy a good thing?
Software trade organizations such as the Business Software Alliance will argue that software piracy is a crime that is costing them and their member companies billions of dollars each year. This can stand to reason. However, is there any good, legitimate and legal rationale for pirating software, games, movies, and other digitized content? This blog explores a couple of things I have heard over the years as a copyright defense lawyer.
Legitimate and moral grounds for pirating software and other digital content - are there any?
Here are some of the common arguments I hear in favor of pirating software and other digital content (such as photographs and fashion design)
- Want to try software or a game before buying it (can lead to future clients)
- Using as a backup copy
- Learning skills in-between jobs (resume builder)
- Overcome restrictions in paid versions
- To see if your computer can handle the software
- Poor-indigent and cannot afford $1,000 plus software
Software Piracy & Counterfeit
- Adobe Photoshop
- Microsoft Office
- Vero (surfcam, alphacam)
- Siemens NX software
- Synposis (design complier, IC compiler, Prime Time and VCS)
- Autodesk (AutoCAD, Revit, Maya, Inventor)
- VB conversion
Game Piracy (game cracks)
- Hitman 3
- Kingdom Hearts
- Strike 3 Holdings, LLC
- Malibu Media
Contact a Copyright Infringement, Piracy and Counterfeit Defense Counsel
We have been in business since 2004. We have helped many individuals and companies small and large bring and defend cases involving Intellectual Property Infringement. Call us for a free confidential case analysis at (877) 276-5084 or fill out the contact form and we will call you.